John P. Wilcox Power House - Page 4

 
Springfield

SPRINGFIELD MODEL B

This 10 hp engine was built in Springfield, Ohio, circa 1900.  Designed by Peter Coffield, it was more conventional than the Model A using a side shaft on the off side and slider across the head to operate the igniter and pendulum governor.  It was used to pump water into a cranberry bog on Cape Cod and came here in the 1990s.

Charter

CHARTER

This 12 hp engine was built by John Charter of Sterling, Illinois, in 1892.  It was the first commercially successful engine to use gasoline in America.  This engine was displayed at the Chicago World’s Fair by Mr. Charter.  After the Fair, it was placed at Netbohm Flour Mill in LaFayette, Iowa, where it ran until 1927,  After 30 years of neglect it was rescued by a collector.

Harvard

HARVARD

The Harvard was built by the Chas. A. Stickney Co. of St. Paul, Minnesota, about 1902.  As with all Stickney products, it was very complicated.  It is a vertical four-cycle engine but uses four valves, a high, spindly governor head and a huge water cooling tank mounted on the frame.  The red tank on top is for the gasoline fuel and it has electric as well as hot tube ignition.  It was sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co., as a farm engine and must have been a nightmare for a farmer to use.  It came from the collection of the late Andy Kruse. 

Reeves

REEVES

Reeves engines were first built in Columbus, Ohio, but about 1908 they were built by Hope Forge and Machine Company of Mount Vernon, Ohio.  This 40 hp twin-cylinder model is circa 1910 and actually one of the smaller the firm produced.  It was used to drive a direct current generator which, with a twin unit, provided electricity for Grimes Station of the Ohio Fuel Gas Co. near Athens, Ohio.  Grimes housed two 500 hp Cooper engines. The Reeves came here in 1973. 

 

 Introduction 1  2  3  4  5
Copyright © 2019 by Coolspring Power Museum