John P. Wilcox Power House - Page 3

 
New Era

NEW ERA

Built circa 1897 in Dayton, OH, this 10 hp engine was belted to a Smith Vaile triplex pump to deliver water to the higher elevations of the Woodland Cemetery of Dayton.  It is interesting to note that its designer and builder, Lawrence M. Johnston, lies here.  New Era built the first 100 hp single-cylinder engine in America. The old stone pump house still remains in the cemetery where the engine was used.  It was removed by Howard Yoder in 1954 and came here in the 1970s.

Star

STAR

This early 4 hp circa 1897 engine was built in New York City, NY.  It has very pleasing proportions around the crank case and cylinder.  Note the vertical governor and lead gasoline pipe.  It was one of the first designs to govern by holding the exhaust valve open.  It operated a wood and metal working shop in East Woodstock, CT and was removed by Nate Lillibridge in 1971 and came here several years later. 

Dayton

DAYTON

This engine was built by the Dayton Globe Iron Works of Dayton OH, circa 1895.  It is an unusual design with the cam shaft on top and a match starter.  Production was quite small and these are very rare.  This engine, about 8 hp, powered a woodworking shop on the Day Farm near Salem, CT until 1967 and later was stored under a wood pile.

Olds

OLDS

This engine was designed by Ransom E. Olds and built in his fathers shop in Lansing, MI in 1896.  Mr. Olds is better known for his Oldsmobile cars and REO trucks.  This engine runs on gasoline and also has a gasoline fired hot tube. It is four-cycle but uses a ratchet wheel to operate the exhaust valve instead of timing gears.  The pendulum governor holds the exhaust valve open. It has beautiful original paint.  It came to the museum in the late 1990s.  There is no information as to what it powered but it is three hp. 

 

 Introduction 1  2  3  4  5
Copyright 2018 by Coolspring Power Museum