Kougher Half Breed Pavilion - Page 1

 
South Penn Special 

SOUTH PENN SPECIAL

The South Penn Special half breed engine was built by South Penn near Clarksburg, WV. It pairs their cylinder with an Oil City Boiler Works frame. It produced 20 hp and pumped an oil well near Dutchman Run, WV.  It arrived in 2013 and is displayed in honor of Les Neely, an oil pumper from the area near Morgantown, WV.

Phillips

PHILLIPS -  F & T

This half breed engine uses a Farrar & Trefts frame and wheel, made in Buffalo, NY, with a cylinder made by T. W. Phillips of Butler, PA.  The Phillips was a two-cycle uniflow cylinder using a cross over valve near the head as seen in the photo.  It is mounted on a hand hewn timber and was used near Chicora, PA. 

Bessemer

BESSEMER -  F & T

This engine has an early Bessemer cylinder, built in Grove City, PA, and featuring their pendulum hit and miss governor.  The frame is a Farrar and Trefts “trough” style.  Bessemer is credited of designing the first half breed conversion in 1898.  This soon became extremely popular selling kits. 

Oil Well Supply

OIL WELL SUPPLY -

GIBBS AND STERRETT

This engine has a two-cycle Oil Well Supply gas cylinder mounted on an early (1880s) box bed Gibbs and Sterrett frame.  It was made in Corry, PA and features a completely flat frame that the cross head and main bearings bolt onto.  It was used near Sheffield, PA.

 

 Introduction 1  2  3  4
Copyright © 2018 by Coolspring Power Museum