Founders Engine House - Page 2
INTERNATIONAL VICTOR HORIZONTAL
This 6 hp engine was built by International Harvester in 1906. It features both natural gas and gasoline fuel supplies and has a friction drive dynamo for ignition. It was found on a farm near Fairmont, West Virginia, and was completely buried in hay. Uses included grinding feed and pumping water. Acquired in 1967.
This is a very early two-cycle engine built by National Transit Pump and
Machine of Oil City, Pennsylvania. It
was most likely designed by John Klein.
It is interesting to note the similarity to a steam engine in its
appearance. This engine is
affectionately called the “bang bang” because of the unusual exhaust
sound. It was found at the
Blairs Corners Station, near Knox, Pennsylvania,
where it pumped crude oil from a local field.
It was built about 1898 and brought to the museum in 1967.
It had only been out of service for a short time.
MIETZ AND WEISS
This engine was built by Augustus Mietz in New York City about 1897 and
follows the design of Carl Weiss.
It is a two-cycle, direct injection oil engine that requires a
hot bulb to be heated red hot to start.
It was one of the many attempts to circumvent the Diesel patent
on oil engines and was quite successful.
This is an early example as noted by the inclined plane, hit and
miss governor. It was found
on a farm in West Alexander, Pennsylvania, in 1969.
This 20 hp unit, built by Pattin Bros. of Marietta, Ohio, is a
combination engine and pumping power.
The rod lines would run directly from the eccentrics.
It was found near Bradford, Pennsylvania, in 1970 just as it was to be
scrapped, and brought to the museum.
Vintage would be 1915 to 1920.
|Introduction 1 2 3 4
|Copyright © by Coolspring Power Museum